- Category: Rafting Hits: 1124
(APURÍMAC " THE CANYON";3 days / 2 nights) Good for experienced or people with River conditions.
We offer one day and two days and multi days River rafting for beginners or well experienced rafters on River trips from class I to class,IV.Also we have multiday River trips from class (III.IV.V) on the Apurímac River and the Vilcanota River sections(The Great Urubamba).Check the River conditions.ITINERARY
DAY ONE: Cusco,Huallpachaca,space odyssey camp
DAY TWO: Space odyssey to la mesa camp
DAY THREE: lamesa camp to Quinta Primavera
Enjoy three days in one of the main sources of the Amazon River and one of the 10 best rivers in the world. The Apurímac river great speaker of God (Quechua native name) begin in the high mountains of the Andes in the departament of Arequipa in the snow peak called Mismi at 5500 mts and flows to the easter slopes of the Andes from south of Peru to the north part of Peru. The river later become part of the Urubamba river,another main source that later become the Ucayali river.Then in the norht of Peru the Marañon river join this river until it reach the north part of Peru in Iquitos when it called the Amazon river.
- TRIP ITINERARY:
7:30 am we departure from Cusco city.we will drive north east of Cusco valley. We sight snow capped peaks and a beautiful landscape of the Andes. After about 4 hours we arrive to the put in point (beginning of the river)in a place called Huallpachaca brigde. After a safety briefing and equipment check we begin the rafting on class I,II, III rapids.Our first rapid is called Introduction,which is a good class III rapid.after we have the Zig Zag rapid which is class III plus rapid.we will stop for lunch on the river side.after a break we begin runnig couple class III rapids untill we run our first class IV rapid called the Chute,long run.Later we prepare our self for one portagge,because this is a class VI rapid that is not comercial for rafters.After that we will arrive to the Campsite is placed in the canyon of Apurímac. Overnight in the camp near the river (B, L, D).we will float for about 3 hours.
DAY TWO: Space odyssey,la mesa camp
With a good rest and a powerful breakfast in our stomachs and an incredible view of the canyon before our eyes, we continue to paddle the class III and class IV rapids.Our first rapid is this portagge that we will do(passengers will walk about a 100 meters).After we prepare our self to paddle a sections called field of Bombs,a sucession of tecnical class IV rapids in the canyon.Later we find more class IV rapids called Purgatory and three Marias,Indiana Jones,Zambesi rapid, great water and fun rapids.We have lunch on the river shore,time to swin and body surfing.Later after a good break we prepare our self for some good IV and class V rapids with a great volumen of water called The fork(class V) and Bati cueva(class IV).We will arrive to our second camp in the afternoon. after a few class III rapids. Great scenery,beatifull granite walls in the canyon,time for pictures, body surfing and others activities. Happy hour at the camp; view of local constellations. We will float for about 6 hours.
DAY THREE:La mesa camp to Quinta primavera.
Gazing at the beautiful view of the campsite and the chance to see the native Condor of the Andes and the Andean fox, we prepare to paddle class III such a good morning rapid and the tail of the Dragon class IV.Later we pass Laberinto which is another class IV plus rapid. We have two scountings in order to check two class V rapids(Toothache and the You first),depending of the conditions of the group and levels of water we will decide if we can run it or people will walk.After we paddle some class III plus rapids.Then we prepare our self for two easy class V rapid called Babalua and the last laugh , great water, great runs. There will be a chance to see some of the birdlife of the river like the Torrents Duck(Merganetta armanta) as well some Bromelids,Giant agaves(Agave sp),Carob trees(prosopis sp) and some Tuna cactus(Opuntia sp) and the Andean Gull(Larus serranus).After we will continue with some class III rapids, Lunch on the river beach.Today we float for about 5 hours.We willl cover a distance of 55 kilometrs total.We also began the river at 2300 mts and we finished at 1700 meters,Our drop from begining to the end is about 600 mts.
- Cargo raft
- Safety Cataraft
- Safety kayak
- Rafting equipment (life jackets,helmets,paddles,wetsuits,wind breakers)
- Class V river guides
- Camping gear,sleeping bags, matresses,tents,portable toilets
- Radio comunication,cell phone.
- Rafting games
- Happy hour every afternoon
- Sleeping Bag, preferably down (check for weather conditions).
- Flashlights (at least one headlamp among them).
- Sun Block; Insect Repellent.
- Towels (Small; cotton and hygienic).
- Rain Gear (Pants and Jacket) though not necessary during the months of July and August
- A couple of pairs of socks, perhaps even an extra pair.
- One pair of trousers for the evening plus two more pairs for trail use (zipp-offs).
- Sandals for River use (Teva types).
- Low ankle height hiking shoes or regular hiking boots (check the season).
- Reading material.
- Binoculars (always useful regardless of season and activity).
- Bathing Suit.
- Water Bottle (I liter capacity).
- Good Sun glasses, perhaps two sets.
- A bandana for neck protection.
- A couple of sets of underwear (perhaps an extra pair).
- Camera and plenty of film.
- Passport (plus a couple of Xerox copies).
- At least one short sleeve shirt and one or two long sleeve shirts (dark colors, depending on the place and destiny chosen).
- And your regular medium to high altitude outer trekking clothes (Anorak-Wind Breaker, Pile or Down Jacket, Wool Hat, Gloves).
2 pax $475 for each person
3 to 5 pax $450 for each person
6 to 8 pax $425 for each person
9 to 12 pax $400 for each person
- What to bring
- What to bring
This is a list designed to advise you what equipment is appropriate to bring according to the weather conditions predominating at the time of your trip: